Volleyball is a sport that requires a lot of fast, flexible, and even risky movements, so it is not good to play it with just any type of clothing. You will need comfortable and dynamic clothing that allows you to move as much as you want. The best volleyball shorts should be comfortable, cool, resistant and flexible to allow you to make all the moves comfortably and without limits.
In this post, we bring you a list covering the best volleyball shorts and spandex as reviewed by other volleyball players.
What should the best volleyball shorts look like?
- They should be made of a super stretchable material such as spandex. Volleyball shorts contain 20% spandex, but they can also be made with elastane, nylon or polyester material. The higher the percentage of spandex the better it will stretch.
- Padded to protect your hips when you hit the ground for the ball.
- They should be made of a strong fabric and preferably of a dark or opaque color so that when you bend over it won’t cause accidents and discomfort by revealing too much.
- They should be the adequate size, they cannot be a little bigger or smaller, they must have the right size to avoid accidents when jumping or bending down.
- It must be breathable, this is something that provides the spandex, being breathable provides air circulation without retaining heat, sweat or odor. This allows it to dry faster than other materials.
Best Volleyball Shorts
|Make and Type||Quick Summary|
|1. ASICS Women’s Low Cut Performance Short||A gusset crotch gusset and COOLMAX technology, which helps keep you dry and ventilated during the most intense play by wicking away moisture|
|2. Mizuno Victory 3.5″ Inseam Volleyball Short||It has a flexible fit, is quite comfortable and fits well to the body without being loose or baggy as it has a 3.5-inch inseam, so you can trust these shorts!|
|3. Under Armour Women’s On The Court 3″ Shorts||Made of 87% polyester and 13% elastane, it has a 3-inch inseam and a four-way stretch construction|
|4. Bodyprox Volleyball Short Women||And thanks to its long seams you will have more coverage, and they won’t roll up or ride up while you play, plus it makes it more durable and prevents the ends from unraveling.|
|5. G Gradual Women’s Spandex Compression Volleyball Shorts||These are the no.1 best selling shorts on Amazon – they are affordable. However most reviewers say you should order a size up.|
|6. BALEAF Women’s 3″ Volleyball Shorts||They are made of 55% cotton, 39% polyester and 6% spandex. So you can be sure it will provide you with comfort and mobility.|
|7. CADMUS Women’s Spandex Volleyball Shorts 3″||Made of 85% polyester and 15% spandex. Flatlock elastic stitching allows for a smooth fit while keeping everything in place, reducing chafing and increasing comfort.|
|8. Auu Women’s 3″ High Waist Volleyball Shorts||These are high waisted Yoga shorts, with soft compression in the abdomen, with them you won’t worry about sweating, deformation or pinching in any area.|
|9. Adidas Women’s 4-Inch Compression Fit Quarter Length||The elastic is comfortable and stays in place better and the pants are the most comfortable at the waist.|
1. ASICS Women’s Low Cut Performance Short
The best volleyball shorts of the list features a gusset crotch gusset and COOLMAX technology, which helps keep you dry and ventilated during the most intense play by wicking away moisture. Comes in 14 colors and 6 different sizes.
It is made of 100% polyester, soft and silky to the touch and hydrology fabric that wicks moisture and sweat away from the skin. It has flat seams for better comfort and fit that are much more discreet and less bulky than conventional seams.
- Soft, comfortable and adjustable
- Fit well in the front and buttock area without bunching or discomfort.
- Length may be too short for some players
2. Mizuno Victory 3.5″ Inseam Volleyball Short
Made of 99% breathable stretch polyester. Available in 5 colors and six sizes.
It has a flexible fit, is quite comfortable and fits well to the body without being loose or baggy as it has a 3.5-inch inseam, so you can trust these shorts!
- Flatlock gusset features for extra comfort
- Good cut, and non-irritating
- Some people may find it a bit small due to sizing
3. Under Armour Women’s On The Court 3″ Shorts
These shorts are resistant and durable, they will withstand any movement giving you the freedom you need. Comes in 4 colors and six sizes.
Made of 87% polyester and 13% elastane, it has a 3-inch inseam and a four-way stretch construction. Breathable, moisture wicking fabric dries quickly. It has a discreet inside pocket, which can allow you to carry small items such as money, phone or wallet.
- Breathable fabric
- Internal pocket
- Low-rise waistband provides coverage
- Some players may find them too tight
4. Bodyprox Volleyball Short Women
Perfect shorts for beginners. Affordable, and comfortable for those starting out in volleyball. These pants have long seams, measuring 4 in.
It is made with 85% polyester and 15% spandex material, which will allow you to be comfortable and stretch as much as you need.
And thanks to its long seams you will have more coverage, and they won’t roll up or ride up while you play, plus it makes it more durable and prevents the ends from unraveling.
- They wick away moisture and keep you comfortable during play.
- Flatlock seams ideal for smooth movements.
- Thin material can bring extra breathability.
5. G Gradual Women’s Spandex Compression Volleyball Shorts
These are the no.1 best selling shorts on Amazon – they are affordable. However most reviewers say you should order a size up.
These volleyball pants are made of 87% polyester, 13% spandex and elastic stitching, It has an elastic waistband, soft fit and moisture wicking.
It is made with 4-water technologic thread, which makes it resistant, solid and allows it to keep its shape after washing.
- Custom fit
- Breathable fabric
- Will not become see-through when you stretch.
- In some cases, it can roll up at the hips.
6. BALEAF Women’s 3″ Volleyball Shorts
These volleyball pants will allow you to move freely while keeping you cool, and without moisture, chafing or pinching.
They are made of 55% cotton, 39% polyester and 6% spandex. So you can be sure it will provide you with comfort and mobility.
The flatlock seams allow you to move freely during play without chafing or irritation to the skin. It is breathable and moisture wicking, keeping you cool and confident during play.
- It comes in 6 different sizes.
- The crotch gusset is double layered, so there will be no problems with “pinching”
- Some users would prefer them to be higher.
7. CADMUS Women’s Spandex Volleyball Shorts 3″
These volleyball shorts absorb sweat quickly and keep it away from the surface of the skin.
Made of 85% polyester and 15% spandex. Flatlock elastic stitching allows for a smooth fit while keeping everything in place, reducing chafing and increasing comfort.
- Elastic waist closure for a secure fit.
- Triangle gusset allows for more movement.
- The tag may feel uncomfortable, but can be cut.
8. Auu Women’s 3″ High Waist Volleyball Shorts
With these volleyball shorts, you will be able to move without showing transparencies, with pockets on both sides.
These are high waisted Yoga shorts, with soft compression in the abdomen, with them you won’t worry about sweating, deformation or pinching in any area.
- They stay in place
- Perfect fit
- The pockets are small
9. Adidas Women’s 4-Inch Compression Fit Quarter Length
These volleyball shorts are made of 86% polyester and 14% elastolefin. Perfect for a comfortable game!
The elastic is comfortable and stays in place better and the pants are the most comfortable at the waist. They have enough compression to shape to the body but still maintain comfort thanks to the breathable mesh waistband.
- Thick fabric and no see-through
- Breathable mesh waistband
- Tighter thighs than the waistband.
Frequently Asked Questions About Volleyball Shorts
Most volleyball brands make volleyball shorts. Realistically you want to buy something in the top range that has spandex part of its makeup, but also breathable materials that allow the sweat to “wick” away.
Well shorts are, just that, shorts. However there is an industry nick-name for the really short “shorts” – they are called “Bun-Huggers”. This is because of how skimpy they are.
To be perfectly honest, its to allow a wide range of motion. They tend to be so short as to avoid riding up and making the players uncomfortable. Spandex is usually the material that dominates the make up of volleyball shorts mainly for this reason.
Well yes and no. Spandex the industry standard material for the manufacture of volleyball shorts. Spandex is just a percentage of the make up – other materials are also added into the mix for a range of factors, including dealing with sweating.
You could – however they may not be as comfortable as a pair designed specifically for volleyball. Ideally you should try your running shorts for a few sessions and see how you get on.
The only way to stop volleyball shorts from riding up is to buy a pair of shorts specifically manufactured for the sport. The best volleyball shorts will not ride up. Making sure you also buy the right size is key.